At Whyteleafe School we regularly talk to the children about e-safety and how to stay safe online. It has come to our attention that a number of children have different social media accounts, including Instagram and Facebook. Most of these social media accounts have age restrictions of 13 year + (this is true of Instagram, Snapchat and Facebook), in compliance with the Children's Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA). In our experience children are not socially mature enough to use these types of social media and therefore we would advise parents to adhere to the age restrictions. If your child does use social media, or other communications on line, we would recommend talking with your child about e-safety and would encourage you to monitor their online activity.
Help children stay safe online:
1. Have the conversation early and often
2. Explore online together
3. Know who your child is talking to online
4. Set rules and agree boundaries
5. Make sure that content is age-appropriate
6. Use parental controls to filter, restrict, monitor or report content
7. Check they know how to use privacy settings and reporting tools
Following on from our E-Safety evening in October please click to download the Internet Safety pack for parents.
Below are links for parents supporting children using social media. We hope you will find them useful.